Better Binding On The TranslateUVN Deformer

One of the known issues for the translateUVN deformer (and all the other custom deformers I had made that used bindData) is that they created bind data for every component on the shape even if that component was not included in the deformerSet. I set it up this way for two reasons:

  1. So that if a user added a new component to the deformer it would already have bind data and they wouldn't need to rebind it.

  2. Because I didn't know how to get the contents of the deformerSet in a command.

Both of these reasons are pretty stupid (especially the second one), and binding every component becomes really bad once you start dealing with hi-poly geometry. So I've made the switch and now binding only happens on a limited number of components. This also has the lovely benefit of shrinking the fileSize. It's a bit annoying that the MFnGeometryFilter class doesn't let you get the component set for the deformer directly, but going through MFnSet is easy enough.



Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square